The Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer, Israel
The objectives of this study were to gather information regarding demographic and clinical characteristics of patients diagnosed with either fibromyalgia (FM) or chronic fatigue (CFS) following hepatitis B vaccination (HBVv) and furthermore to apply the recently suggested criteria of autoimmune (auto-inflammatory) syndromes induced by adjuvants (ASIA), in the aim of identifying common characteristics that may suggest an association between fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and HBV vaccination. Medical records of 19 patients with CFS and/or fibromyalgia following HBVv immunization were analyzed. All of which were immunized during 1990–2008 in different centers in the USA. All medical records were evaluated for demographics, medical history, the number of vaccine doses, as well as immediate and long term post-immunization adverse events and clinical manifestations. In addition, available blood tests, imaging results, treatments and outcomes were analyzed. ASIA criteria were applied to all patients.
This study suggests that in some cases CFS and FM can be temporally related to immunization, as part of ASIA syndrome. The appearance of adverse event during immunization, the presence of autoimmune susceptibility and higher titers of autoantibodies all can be suggested as risk factors. ASIA criteria were fulfilled in all patients eluding the plausible link between ASIA and CFS/FM.
Keywords: Autoimmune (auto-inflammatory) syndromes induced by adjuvants (ASIA) . Vaccines. Autoimmunity. Fibromyalgia. Chronic fatigue syndrome.
1. Ablin JN, Shoenfeld Y, Buskila D. Fibromyalgia, infection and vaccination: two more parts in the etiological puzzle. J Autoimmunity 27: 145-152, 2006.
2. Agmon-Levin N, Shoenfeld Y. Chronic fatigue syndrome with autoantibodies – the result of an augmented adjuvant effect of hepatitis-B vaccine and silicone implant. Autoimmun Rev. 8: 52 – 55, 2008.
3. Shoenfeld Y, Agmon-Levin N. 'ASIA' – autoimmune / inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants. J of Autoimmun 2011; 36: 4-8.
4. Rodriguez-Pinto I, Agmon-Levin N, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y. Fibromyalgia and cytokines. Immunology Letters 2014; 161: 200–203.
5. Agmon-Levin N, Zafrir Y, Kivity S, Balofsky A, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y. Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia following immunization with the hepatitis B vaccine: another angle of the ‘autoimmune (auto-inflammatory) syndrome induced by adjuvants’ (ASIA). Immunol Res. 2014; 60:376–383.
6. Amital H, Agmon-Levin N, Shoenfeld N, Arnson Y, Amital D, Langevitz P, Balbir- Gurman A, Shoenfeld Y. Olfactory impairment in patients with the fibromyalgia syndrome and systemic sclerosis. Immunol Res. 2014; 60:201–207.
7. Watad A, Quaresma N, Brown S, Cohen Tervaert JW, Rodriguez-Pint I, Cervera R, Perricone C, Shoenfeld Y. Autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants (Shoenfeld's syndrome) - An update.Lupus 2017; 26, 675–681. doi: 10.1177/0961203316686406.